Friday, April 30, 2010

Ilene Godofsky



"My work is about exploring the connection between the human experience and craft. I am fascinated by the precise nature of craftsmanship, and the sense of exact decisiveness in every step of the process. I draw inspiration from studying craft throughout history, and attempt to work intuitively in my own pieces, while keeping cultural and historical references in mind. My weavings attempt to evoke a quiet moment for the viewer, where subtle shifts are picked up in the details, and the beauty of things that are created over time is recognized. I hand weave all of my fabrics, using a combination of natural and synthetic fibers. I then develop a photograph on the fabric using either Cyanotype or Van Dyke Brown chemistry. By combining alternative photography with hand weaving, I attempt to create works thats speak to the innate human aesthetic and necessity to create, which has universally revealed itself in every culture. " - Ilene Godofsky

To see more of her work go to her website.

No comments:

Post a Comment