Thursday, November 19, 2009

Annabel Faraday



"I make illustrated stoneware vessels which explore a sense of place. I am fascinated with maps and their relationship with landscape, earth and clay. My newer work brings together Victorian maps on the inner surfaces and collaged images from my own photographs of contemporary street art/graffiti on the outside, exploring the interplay of constraint and spontaneity, history and modernity.

The forms of the vessels retain a simplicity which provides a ‘canvas’ for the rich surface imagery. Instead of applying transfers to a ready-made pot, I print before I construct the
vessel, using a printing method developed over several years and utilising both sides of the unfired flat sheet of clay, which I’ve painted with coloured slips. The pots are then hand-built, and fired to 1180 degrees, producing a slightly raised metalicised image which forms an integral part of the ceramic body."- Annabel Faraday

To see more of her work go to Broadway Ceramics.

No comments:

Post a Comment